5 Healthy Outdoor Activities
2019 Feb 28 | by janndel
To have a happy home life, you must have a naturally healthy lifestyle, and that includes the great outdoors. It is a well-known fact that outdoor exercise has a positive effect on blood pressure and mood than indoor exercise. The contact with nature can positively influence physical and mental health and well-being, and of course, improve quality of life in the process.
Here at Pueblo de Oro, we encourage all our homeowners to live a healthy lifestyle, and who needs a gym membership when you have the great outdoors? Here are five naturally healthy outdoor activities, guaranteed to make you the best version of yourself:
- Hiking — Accessible to all ages, as a family or with friends, hiking is an ideal way to explore beautiful natural spaces at your own pace. There are many benefits to hiking. It can reduce risk of heart disease, lower blood pressure, improve bone density, and lower body fat. Scenic views can be seen as well. From trails intended for the whole family to more adventurous ones, parks offer lots of hiking trails of all lengths. Short hiking trails are available in most wildlife preserves and tourist centers. Some of these places also offer long hikes. Just one hour of trekking can burn well over 500 calories, depending on the level of incline. Next time someone tells you, “Take a hike,” you might want to thank them for looking out for your health.
- Cycling – Cycling has a lot of benefits for both the mind and body. It can relieve stress and boost mood. Not to mention, it’s a great opportunity to bond with friends and family. Additionally, it’s a great lower body workout that works different muscle groups like the quads, hamstrings, and calves. It also helps get cardio in, and therefore improves cardiovascular health. The resistance element of cycling means that it doesn’t just burn fat: it also builds muscle. Plus, it’s non-weight-bearing, which makes it a good option for people dealing with joint pain or injury. Pedaling while maintaining balance and steering also improves coordination. Cycling is a well recommended exercise that cuts the risk of developing major illnesses such as heart disease and cancer.
- Swimming – Swimming isn’t just about enjoying beautiful beaches, it’s also a head-to-toe workout! It is a healthy activity that you can continue for a lifetime. Also, it’s another great low-impact exercise, which means it allows people recovering from injury to stay fit without straining their bodies. The water provides resistance, which increases muscle strength and tone. This activity is popularly known to help relax and destress. Floating in the water dulls the sensory information that can overwhelm, creating feelings of calm. At the same time, the rhythmic movements and breathing can also provide meditative benefits and improve coordination, balance, and posture.
- Rock Climbing – Rock climbing is a versatile, physically demanding sport — one that often tests a climber’s endurance, agility, strength, and balance along with his or her mental control. It has the potential to be a dangerous sport and knowledge of proper climbing techniques and usage of specialized equipment is crucial. Additionally, rock climbing requires several different muscle groups to be engaged during the workout – abs, obliques, traps, biceps, lats, quads, calves – in fact, rock climbing even works your forearm muscles by strengthening a climber’s grip. Virtually all major muscle groups are incorporated even in just a single expedition. The various exercises involved in rock climbing aid in the prevention of chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes.
- Yoga – The purpose of yoga is to build strength, awareness, and harmony in both the mind and body. The combination mind-body workout of yoga pairs perfectly with the overall health benefits of time spent outdoors. The relaxation techniques incorporated in yoga can lessen chronic pain, such as lower back pain, arthritis, headaches and carpal tunnel syndrome. Yoga’s incorporation of meditation and breathing can also help improve a person’s mental well-being. Feel your worries melt away as you breathe in the fresh air, and focus on your wellness.
A positive well being is easy to achieve if you live in a community that offers amenities that promotes healthy lifestyle and outdoor activities like Pueblo de Oro in Cagayan de Oro.